There is no final decision on how equipment and backpacks should be attached to a packraft, but over the years we have gained some experience.
Equipment and backpacks can be attached to both the front and rear of the packraft, but when placing weight and equipment in the bow, the packraft will have additional ballast which will give you increased stability. A packrafts will be more directionally stable with ballast in the front.
The Norseraft packrafts come with four tie downs loops on the outside of the tubes in the bow of the packraft, and it is mainly these tie down loops that are used to strap on and fasten the equipment. Some backpacks fit perfectly to the location of the tie down loops, and you can manage with the straps on the backpack to ensure fastening. Additional fastening materials may still be needed.
The packraft is also equipped with tie down loops at the rear which make it possible to attach, for example, smaller backpacks or bags at the rear. This can also provide better weight balance and extra support for the back if you place it correctly.
You should also consider the packbag expedition. This is a packbag with four mounting straps for storage in front. Perfect for short trips and storage of food, fish, camera, etc. Can also be attached to the back if the backpack is attached to the bow.
In summary, these points will be important to keep in mind and consider when attaching a backpack and equipment to your packraft:
• Equipment and backpacks can be attached to both the front and rear of the packraft. A packraft will be more directionally stable with ballast in the front
• four tie down loops on the outside of the tubes in the bow of the packraft which are mainly used to strap and secure the equipment
• You may need extra fasteners such as ropes and straps
• Consider whether you need a packbag that can be used to attach or store equipment
• Attach the backpack to the bow with the backboard up and the top lid down towards yourself if you want to have the opportunity to carry the backpack with the packraft attached to it
A packrafts will be more directionally stable with ballast in the front